Part 1: The Earth's climate system
Topic 1: History of the Earth's climate system
- Brief Introduction to the History of Climate This is Chapter 1 in the book "Ice Ages and Astronomical Causes". It provides a nice motivation to the study of paleoclimatology.
- The Visible Paleo Earth Project Spectacular visuals of the Earth's history. Highly recommended.
- A journey through climate history A great interactive timeline of Earth's climate history.
Topic 2: Paleoclimatology
- Climate change: How do we know? This is a good video showing how ice cores are drilled and analyzed to retrieve information about past climate.
- Lecture notes from the Isotope Geochemistry course at Cornell University Very readable and highly recommended.
Millennium Temperature Reconstruction and the Hockey Stick Controversy
- Bradley and Jones (1993) paper Describes the CPS method.
- Mann et al. (1998) paper Describes the CFR method.
- Mann et al. (1999) paper Extention of Mann et al. (1998) to the last millennium.
- Wahl et al. (2006) Comments on von Storch et al. (2004).
- von Storch et al. (2006) Reply to Wahl et al. (2006).
Faint Young Sun Paradox
Great Oxygenation Event
- History of Oxygen 1 lecture slides from the book "How to build a habitable Planet"
- History of Oxygen 2 lecture slides from the book "How to build a habitable Planet"
- Wally Broecker's book "What Drives Glacial Cycles?" gives a nice review of glacial research and the development of the orbital theory.
- Hays et al. (1976)
- Paillard (1998)
- Paillard (2001) A nice review of the orbital theory and some more recent developments on the G/IG cycle
Topic 3: Climate data analysis
Topic 4: Atmospheric general circulations
- CERES atlas
- NOAA ESRL PSD interactive plotting and analysis page
- ECMWF ERA-40 气候图集 强烈推荐
- ISCCP 全球云气候图集
- NOAA ESRL PSD gridded datasets
- NOAA PSD 20th Century Reanalysis
Topic 5: Ocean structure and general circulations
- Rob Stewart's open source textbook Introduction to Physical Oceanography
- WOCE Hydrographic Programme Atlases
- Java Ocean Atlas 全球海洋Interactive图集
- NOAA Ocean Surface Current Analyses - Realtime
- NASA Ocean Motion and Surface Currents
- An animation of the thermohaline circulation
- Univ of Hawaii Ocean General Circulation Model For the Earth Simulator (OFES)
- The Great Pacific garbage patch
Topic 6: Climate variability and teleconnections
- This page was last modified on 27 September 2017, at 09:56.
- This page has been accessed 15,025 times.